Monday, September 15, 2008

Chuseok 2008

This was my third Chuseok in Korea (Thanksgiving) and this year we only had a 3 day weekend, and my money has been really tight (thanks to the stupid exchange rate!) so Mike and I decided to make a Seoul weekend our plan. Instead of having to worry about travel to and from our area we got a cheap hotel in the center of the city. We hit our favourite spots, and some pics are below.

Here is a view of our classy alley way that our hotel was in. We stayed at a 'Love Motel'. They're basically for Koreans and are rented by the hour for times of love. We take advantage of them for their cheap rates, but do not rent by the hour.

We hiked up Namsan to get the the tower as well. We have gone up there before but took the cable car. We opted for walking this time. It wasn't really so much a hike as climbing a bizillion stairs, but it was nice with some good views.

At the top we stopped for a beer. Along the edge of the tower were these locks placed here by couples in love. In Korea they really love all that cutesy love stuff.

Here is a view of Seoul from the top. Though Seoul has a ton of people it's crazy how close everything is. Yet I continue to get lost all the time. I think it has to do with the lack of street names and gridded streets.

In Jogno. Piano Street, I guess? Anyways, it was kinda near our hotel and while walking we found it. We also found an awesome Indian bar with fountains, private rooms and curtains.


In Insadong, at a tea house/cafe. I'm having Oh Mi Cha (Five Taste Tea). Famous in Korea because it has, well, 5 tastes. I thought there was only four, but to add to the sweet, salty, sour and bitter, they added pungent. Which is a smell, right? I dunno. It's good.

We also went to Jongmyo Shrine. These shrines/temples/palaces are all over the place and usually we pop in if we're walking by, even if I've been before. It's only about a buck to get in each time and I feel like it's a waste not to go in. Mike and I were talking about how nice it is to go inside and escape from the craziness that the city can sometimes bring. I always mention loving the juxtaposition of old/modern, hectic/peaceful that Seoul has.

There is a park in Seoul (actual name is escaping me now) that I refer to as 'Old Man Park'. Not to be confused with a man with the last name Park. HA! I'm not funny. Anyways, tons of old men are here all the time. They play games, drink soju, sing trot. Occasionally trick birds into sitting on their hand. I like to watch old people, like the old people watch the birds.

Walking to our hotel we came across this guy doing some calligraphy.

Anyways, it was a good weekend. I think that the weekend was way too short. Last year we had 5 days off, but a Monday off is still nice. It's my last holiday until I go home to Canada in December as I'm using all of my holidays to be home in time for Christmas. Time is going by quickly and I was thinking about some things that I want to do in Korea before I leave. A short list:
- go to a baseball game in the afternoon
- go to Soraksan
- stay in a pension with some friends
- go to the DMZ
- take Mike to Namhansanseong

I think those are the main things, but I'm sure I'll remember/come across more opportunities later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home