Sunday, June 22, 2008

Cambodia: Day Two

So I never made it to the hammock last night. When I got back to the hotel some of the guys that work there offered me some Chinese wine and I hung out in the kitchen with them. Yeah, Chinese wine is not what I'd call delicious. Anyways, it was awesome because I feel like I'm learning a lot more about Cambodia (society, politics, culture) from them than I would if I were just hanging with foreigners. They use the word culture here a lot. I find this interesting because in Canada we don't. Everyone always says that Canada doesn't have a culture, but I don't think that's necessarily true. Though I do feel we associate ourselves with politics more so than culture. Politicalization of culture?

Today I went to more temples. I'm impressed with every single one, and today we had no rain which was nice. At one temple I met a girl named Marjorie, Melaine, some M name and she was nice, though young. We had lunch together and she talking about her boy problems to me. I felt very wise, being 5 years older than her and all and tried to indirectly give her some advice. I was put back in my place after visiting another temple and meeting another girl who has been traveling for months, and doesn't plan on stopping. I'm jealous of her, but don't know if I have the guts, independence or cash to ever do this forever. That temple was great, though. I had to hike up a mountain to reach it, when I did I also had to climb these really steep steps to reach the top. Seriously, did Cambodians a long time ago have really thin feet? These steps are always thinner than my foot, and go directly up. Anyways, I was lucky to miss the crowds and it's pretty popular because there is a good view of Angkor Wat from there. I've heard that up to 1000 people go up there sometimes for the view. Ew.

I went back to my hotel and played some cards, I apparently learned a traditional Cambodian card game which turned out to be asshole. I'm now in the Old Market again and am going to get another massage, and then try a restaurant suggested by the M girl.

Tomorrow is my last full day in the area and am going to see some farther off temples (which are near where my tuk tuk driver was born). 10 bucks to have a driver to yourself ALL day aint bad!

I'll write again tomorrow, I'm sure.

xo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home